
Tehran urged the UN Security Council to convene an emergency session
Tehran
Iran’s Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned a US military strike on its nuclear facilities, calling the action an unprecedented breach of international law and a grave violation of the UN Charter.
In a statement, the Islamic Republic of Iran accused the United States of a “brutal military aggression” against its peaceful nuclear infrastructure.
Tehran held Washington fully responsible for what it called a “heinous crime” and warned of “dangerous consequences” stemming from the attack.
The strike, which took place in the early hours of the 10th day of Israel’s military attack against Iran, was described by Tehran as a joint effort between the US and Israel to wage war against the Iranian people.
The Foreign Ministry said the attack violated Article 2(4) of the UN Charter, which prohibits the use of force, and breached UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
“This act of aggression has exposed the criminal complicity between the United States and the Zionist regime,” the statement read, adding that the attack undermines global non-proliferation efforts.
Iran called on the United Nations, including Secretary-General António Guterres and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), to respond swiftly.
Tehran urged the UN Security Council to convene an emergency session and to hold Washington accountable for what it described as an “egregious violation” of international norms.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran is resolved to defend its sovereignty, territory, security, and people by all means,” the ministry said, adding that silence in the face of such aggression would plunge the international community into chaos.
The statement also criticised the IAEA and its Director General for what it described as biased conduct, alleging that the Agency’s stance had paved the way for the escalation.
Reiterating its position as a founding UN member, Iran appealed to the global community to reject what it characterised as unlawful, unilateral aggression by the United States.
Tehran warned that failure to act would embolden further violations of international law.
Seyed Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s foreign minister and nuclear negotiator, said that Israel and the US had repeatedly derailed diplomacy just as talks were underway.
“Last week, we were in negotiations with the US when Israel decided to blow up that diplomacy,” Araghchi posted on X, formerly Twitter. “This week, we held talks with the E3/EU when the US decided to blow up that diplomacy.”
He criticised Britain and the European Union for urging Iran to “return” to talks, saying Tehran never left the negotiating table.
“How can Iran return to something it never left, let alone blew up?” he added.
Statement from ICRC president
The president of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warned that the world “cannot absorb limitless war” amid escalating military operations in the Middle East, urging all parties to uphold international humanitarian law.
In a statement, the ICRC called for the protection of civilians and safe access for medical personnel and first responders, including those with the Iranian Red Crescent Society and Magen David Adom.
The organisation said it is scaling up operations in both Iran and Israel but stressed that humanitarian aid cannot replace the political will needed to pursue peace and safeguard human life.
Washington enters Iran conflict
US forces struck Iran’s three main nuclear sites, President Donald Trump said in a televised speech late on June 21 and he warned Tehran it would face more devastating attacks if it does not agree to peace.
After days of deliberation and long before his self-imposed two-week deadline, Trump’s decision to join Israel’s military invasion against its major rival Iran is a major escalation of the assault and risks opening a new era of instability in the Middle East.
“A short time ago, we carried out massive precision strikes on three nuclear facilities in the Iranian regime,” announced Trump.
The strikes were a spectacular military success,” Trump said in the White House televised address. “Iran’s key nuclear enrichment facilities have been completely and totally obliterated.”