Pakistan ready to engage with new US administration: FO

ISLAMABAD
Foreign Office has said Pakistan remains ready to engage with the new US administration to take these longstanding relations forward.
At his weekly news briefing in Islamabad on Thursday, Foreign Office Spokesperson Shafqat Ali Khan said Pakistan is committed to a strong and robust relationship with the US based on the principle of non-interference in internal affairs. Welcoming President Donald Trump’s oath taking, the spokesperson emphasized that the US-Pakistan relationship is very important, covering multiple areas. He said we look forward to continuing the positive trajectory of these relations.
Responding to a question, the spokesperson said we have an arrangement with the US by virtue of which it is committed to take a lot of Afghans from Pakistan to the US for resettlement by September this year. He said this arrangement is in place so far.
Voicing serious concerns over the sanctuaries enjoyed by TTP in Afghanistan, the spokesperson said Pakistan continues to impress upon the Afghan authorities to address these concerns so that the bilateral relations could achieve its full potential.
Regarding Kashmir dispute, Shafqat Ali Khan said Pakistan’s position on the longstanding dispute is very clear. He said the world is aware of the oppression campaign unleashed in the Indian illegally occupied Jammu and Kashmir. He said Pakistan will support any effort directed towards the resolution of the dispute.
To another question, the foreign office spokesperson said Pakistan remains committed to the full implementation of Indus Water Treaty including its dispute settlement mechanism. He hoped India will also implement the treaty in good faith and in its entirety.
Last week witnessed a tragic incident of boat capsizing off the coast of Morocco involving Pakistani nationals. So far, 22 survivors have been confirmed as Pakistani nationals on the basis of verified information. Our Embassy in Morocco remains in contact with the Pakistani survivors for any sort of assistance and with the Moroccan authorities to ascertain the identity of any Pakistani nationals involved in the tragedy. I would also mention our gratitude for the excellent cooperation and assistance provided by the friendly country of Morocco. We remain grateful to them.
The Netherlands and Pakistan held the 11th round of the Bilateral Political Consultations in Islamabad on January 20th. The Netherlands side was led by the Secretary General of the Dutch Foreign Ministry, Mr. Christiaan Rebergen, and Foreign Secretary Ms. Amna Baloch led the Pakistan side. Both sides held discussions on a wide range of areas including economic, political, trade and investment, climate change, agriculture, water management, dairy and livestock, education and culture.
This week marked several significant milestones achieved in under our Look Africa Policy. Additional Secretary Africa, Hamid Asghar Khan is currently visiting Africa where he has conducted Bilateral Political Consultations with Djibouti, Rwanda and Uganda. Before these bilateral consultations as is customary, he signed Memorandum of Understanding for regular convening of these consultations on annual basis, with all the three countries.
During the Bilateral Consultations with Rwanda, discussions focused on culture, defense and security, education, science and information technology. Highlight was initiation of MoU on Preferential Trade Agreement.
The fourth round of Pakistan-Azerbaijan Bilateral Political Consultations will be held in Islamabad on Thursday. Mr. Elnur Mammadov, Deputy Foreign Minister of Republic of Azerbaijan is visiting Pakistan to lead the Azerbaijan delegation. The Pakistan delegation would be led by our Foreign Secretary. The two sides will discuss the entire range of bilateral relations, including cooperation in trade, energy, information technology, defense, health, connectivity, and education sectors. The two sides will also discuss a range of regional and international issues.
Pakistan welcomes the initiation of the ceasefire in Gaza on January 19, 2025 and the subsequent release of hostages and Palestinian prisoners. This milestone was achieved after the patient and persistent mediatory role of Egypt, Qatar, and the United States. We urge the international community to develop a concrete plan for reconstruction of Gaza in line with the UNSC Resolutions.
We call for accountability of the Israeli crimes committed in this brutal war, considering it as an essential element in restoring international legitimacy. Pakistan continues to support the two-state solution which is based on the fundamental principles of the UN Charter, resolutions of the Security Council and decisions of the International Court of Justice.
We unequivocally condemn the latest Israeli raid in the Jenin Refugee Camp of the West Bank resulting in the killing of ten Palestinians. Such actions potentially undermine the precarious ceasefire in Gaza and international community should take note of it.